Saturday, July 28, 2012

Week 8: 




Beer(s) and ABV: Gouden Carolus Ambrio (8%)
Blue Point Blueberry Ale (4.6%)
Lakefront Wisconsinite Summer Weiss (4.2%)
Lakefront Klisch Pilsner (5.42%)
Beers Already Tried From This Brewery: None from any of them



I know, I'm only supposed to try one beer a week and write about it but I can't help it lately, I just want to keep trying as many new brews as I can. 

This week, I managed to crack open four new ones. The first that I tried, I got at the Flying Saucer in Cordova, also known as my second home and it was the Gouden Carolus Ambrio. It poured a dark amber color and smelled of cherries. After first sip, I noticed the cherries but sadly, tasted more alcohol than flavor. Not a terrible beer but also not great, especially for the price. Still glad I tried it. 

The next three beers actually came from a buddy who recently went to Florida and brought them back. The first of those was the Lakefront Wisconsinite Summer Weiss. Pretty typical Weiss beer, solid and very refreshing. Definitely a session beer in my mind. 

The next beer was the Lakefront Klisch Pilsner. Again, like the first Lakefront, solid beer. Nothing that will wow you but could drink it all night. 

Lastly, we had the Blue Point Blueberry Ale. To me, this was a slightly weaker version of Saranac Blueberry Blonde Ale, which is not a bad thing. The blueberry flavor wasn't overwhelming like you'd get with a Sea Dog Blueberry or even Sweetwater Blue, which is something I like. Just like the last two, would drink plenty of this all night. 




Album: Yourself or Someone Like You by Matchbox 20 (1996)
Length: 46 Minutes, 43 Seconds

While maybe not a classic album in most top albums list, this is widely considered to be Matchbox 20's best album and certainly best selling album. With Matchbox 20 coming out with a new album called North in September and me loving their incredibly catchy first single off that album titled She's So Mean, I decided to go back in time and check out this album.

Matchbox 20 is very similiar to Fiona Apple in that despite being around since 1996, they've only released a handful of albums (M20 with 5; Fiona Apple with 4).

Yourself or Someone Like You has atleast 3 or 4 songs that I guarantee you've heard on the radio at someone point, including the first song on the album, Real World. Incredibly catchy song, hard to imagine someone that grew up during the 90s not knowing this one. Next song after this was Long Day, a song I hadn't heard before but was solid.

The next two songs are probably ones you've heard before as well in 3am and Push. Catchy as hell, typical 90s music in my mind.

After that, Girl Like That and Back 2 Good were the following two songs. Girl Like That was a new one to me, it was okay. Back 2 Good is a song that is slower but one that some would remember. I feel like this one had some airplay back in the day. From here, the remaining six songs are songs that I'd not heard going into this listen.

Next song is Damn and it certainly picked up the tempo from Back 2 Good. If I looked up the lyrics, I definitely would've sung along. The shortest song on the album, Argue, clocks in at 2 minutes and 57 seconds. Despite the shortness, it was another solid song. Much like the rest so far, a catchy tune that with a few more listens would be even more fun to sing along to.

After those two more upbeat songs, we slowed the tempo again with Kody. Paying more closely to the lyrics on this one, it's about dealing with depression after someone close to you commits suicide. Very good song.

With the next song, Busted, Thomas' vocals got much grittier than the rest of the album. Quite a nice change of pace even though I wouldn't consider this one of my favorites off the album.

The final two songs on the album are Shame and Hang. While Shame was nothing special, Hang was really really good. Probably my favorite song that I didn't know going into this album. It was a slower song and really good lyrics.

Overall, I'm thrilled I listened to this album. I guess I never realized how much I actually liked Rob Thomas' voice and how well it goes with the music of Matchbox 20. I would absolutely recommend this album if you like any of the songs you've previously heard (Real World, 3am, Push and Back 2 Good)



Movie: Napoleon Dynamite (2004) 
Length: 1 Hour, 35 Minutes
Main Cast: Jon Heder, Jon Gries, Efren Ramirez, Tina Majorino

I think out of all the weeks that I've been doing this blog, I picked a movie that couldn't have been any more divisive. From some people, they loved this movie. For many others, they absolutely hated. It never seemed as if there was any middle ground with Napoleon Dynamite. 

When it came out back in 2004, my preconceived notion was that it sucked, hands down. It got overhyped, overquoted and I naturally didn't like it, despite the fact that I hadn't seen it. 

I think that's the main reason why I went with this movie over Forrest Gump and Batman Begins is because I wanted to get even more out of my shell and pick a movie that not only I hadn't seen but actually had no plans of seeing and had judged without even having seen the movie. 

It didn't take long into this movie to see why some loved it and others hated it. The incredibly dry sense of humor had me chuckle at a few lines but I have to say that this movie did nothing for me in the slightest. 

The plot was pointless and many times I caught myself thinking "When it this going to end?"

The best part of the movie was near the end when Napolean was dancing on stage. Outside of that and a few lines, this movie was not a good movie in my opinion. 

I'd say if you're looking for a comedy to watch, stay clear of this one unless you absolutely love dry as a desert humor. However, if you haven't seen it, I'd suggest watching it just so you can have your own valid opinion as I know can have. Then you aren't like me circa 2004 and judge something blindly.







Food: World Famous Huey Burger with Black Bean Patty (Collierville)

With this week being a little hectic between my alternator catching on fire and just staying busy, my food choice for week 8 became one that was kind of on the fly so bare with me.

After hearing about how great Huey's burgers are, I decided to go with one. I've never actually had one so by-passing the standard beef patty for the black bean was a pretty huge step. I actually called in the order to-go because I was running short on time (hence not the best picture) and ended up eating in the Papa John's dine in.

What I ordered on the black bean burger was cheddar cheese, mayo and lettuce. Assuming the texture of the patty was similar to one of beef, I took a nice hearty bite into it. I immediately regretted that decision as I almost gagged on it. What I tasted was not what I expected in the slightest. The texture was very soft and clearly tasted of beans.

Honestly, I was only able to eat about half of the burger because of how much I disliked it. I know many people that love the black bean burger so I'm not going to tell you that it's awful. I think I just came to realize that unless it's baked beans, I'm just not a fan of beans. Atleast a big step for me was trying mayonaise from another restaurant. I've always been a strict "Hellmans only" kind of guy so I still feel like that was a small victory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment