Friday, July 20, 2012

Week 7: 





Beer(s): Saranac High Peaks Lemon Ginger Saison & Woodchuck Private Reserve Ginger
ABV: 8.5% - 6.9%
Beers Already Tried From This Brewery: Too many to mention from both

This is going to be a pretty simple week to write about these beers. Neither of them were very good. Plain and simple.

With the first beer, the Saranac High Peaks Lemon Ginger Saison, I had high hopes for. I was looking for a beer with alot of flavor and yet all I got was alot of alcohol. It just did not make for an enjoyable drinking experience. And as it got warmer, it just got worse. To be honest, I had to pour it out half way through (yes, I know) but I couldn't stomach this beer.

As for the other beer, Woodchuck Private Reserve Ginger, again I had high hopes for simply because it was from the Private Reserve collection. However, I was let down. Not because it was a foul tasting beer but because it was just another Woodchuck. There really wasn't much Ginger flavor to this one. Just typical Woodchuck Cider that people are used to.





Album: Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A. (1988)
Length: 60 Minutes, 27 Seconds

You're probably looking at this selection as the WTF moment of the blog so far and you'd be completely right. I have absolutely no idea why I decided to go for this album but I did. I guess I just wanted to really expand my horizons in a big way.

I've never listened to a full rap album before so I figured if there was any rap album worth listening to, it would be Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A.

From the moment I pressed play, I felt like I was in South Central LA in the late 80s. All I was missing was a flat billed hat and a Starter jacket.

To be completely honest, the music was pretty cool. It had some cool beats and even some light guitar in the background. Obviously, the lyrics from start to finish are everything you can imagine. The standout lyric for me came from Parental Discretion Iz Advised that made me double take...

"To you it may be funny, but
there's no service of beef, without money
So slip the C-note, and you can choke
on a wing-ding-ding-a-ling down your throat
Foreplay; to me ain't shit
When you spread 'em I'm ready, then you can get the dick
of the Eaze, if you can deal with the size
But if you can't, parental discretion's advised!"

Seriously, ding-a-ling? Once I heard that, I couldn't help but laugh outloud.

It's crazy to think Ice Cube has gone from this to Friday movies to Coors Light commercials.

I don't know if I'd ever listen to this album again but I'm certainly glad that I did.


Movie: A Bug's Life (1998)
Length: 1 Hour, 35 Minutes
Main Cast: Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Hayden Panettiere, Denis Leary

I have to say, going 14 years without seeing a Pixar film is simply unacceptable.

I don't know if it was the idea of bugs and not thinking it would be good or entertaining but nothing ever motivated me to go out of my way to see this film, despite it being from Pixar and I absolutely love everything they do.

Shockingly enough, not one time did I say "Damn you Pixar" which I so often do because of their ability to tug at your heart strings. However, this was a very well done movie. I don't think I've laughed as hard as a Pixar film as this. Just a lot of funny moments to me.

While she was no Boo from Monsters Inc, Pixar created an adorable young bug in Dot. One of my favorites as well as Denis Leary playing the male Ladybug.

I'm really glad I watched this. Is it my favorite Pixar film? Nope. It wouldn't be at my bottom either. Just another good plot from a company with a flawless record. Now all I have to do is see Cars 2 and I'll have seen them all.





Food: Old Fashioned Monte Cristo and The Fat Boy from Half Shell (Memphis)

Another week, another great food selection. Either I'm getting lucky picking out good food or my taste buds have stopped being so damn picky.

With another Monday night to try and find food, my buddies and I have decided to start looking at two lists, one from The Commercial Appeal and the other from the I Love Memphis Blog, of the Top 100 Foods to Try in Memphis and go from there.

With this week, we all decided we would go to Half Shell at Poplar and Mendenhall to try their Old Fashioned Monte Cristo since it was on the list. I decided to split that with one of my friends while getting another meal to split as well, that way we could both try two items.

After having not eaten all day, I was incredibly hungry. I got my order, split it up and dug in.

Holy cow, was the Monte Cristo something great. It is an egg battered sandwich with pit smoked ham, hickory smoked turkey, provolone cheese and dusted with powdered sugar that was all sorts of heaven. I've never really tried honey mustard before so I had to dip it and again, just fantastic. I can't wait to go back and try this again.

As for the other part of my dinner, I got to have The Fat Boy. This Po Boy included Blackened Shrimp, Fried Crawfish Tails and Fried Oysters. Having never had either of the last two, I was slightly nervous as to how this would taste. Just like everything else I have been missing in my life, this was phenomenal. To me, I liked this even more than the Monte Cristo, which I thought very highly of.

It came with a remoulade sauce (pictured top left) that was to die for. I slathered that on The Fat Boy and went to town.

Seriously, this may have been my favorite week for trying a new food that I've had so far. I seriously can't wait to go back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment